Eggs, shots and rock n roll

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Some news

Did an HPT on Tuesday morning. Of course, no second pink line, no surprise there. I went to see my RE. Felt really weird again not having to take off my pants. And we had a real good talk, for once. I told him we were really tired and had a hard time recovering from failure time after time. Since our money is running low, we won't be able to do many more cycles with injectibles and IUI. So I asked him if there was anything else we could do, anything we had not tried yet that might help. He told me we were already doing everything we could. Sometimes it just ain't enough. He said since I want to stop injects/IUI cycles for now, there are 2 options.

1. In Vitro - I told him if we were not able to pay for IUI, IVF was way out of our league for now.

2. Laparoscopy and ovarian drilling - Ok the name itself gives me chills, but I have read a lot about it and the results are pretty impressive.

So we decided to go for option #2. Given our wonderful health system here, it might take up to 3 months to get an appointment for the surgery. So, for the next 3 months, I take some time off the injects, IUI, u/s and dildocam sessions. I only take Metformin and Femara, since it has worked (although not perfectly) in the past. That way, I won't feel like I'm just wasting my time, waiting for the lap. Maybe I won't even have to go that far (oh, who am I kidding?). They will be able to check for endometriosis (my dr said it would surprise him) and burn it if there is and if it's possible and they will do the drilling at the same time. Thinking about it, I find myself feeling a glimmer of hope to be normal... Normal meaning not having to shoot myself in the belly just to develop an egg. Stupid hope creeping in while I'm not looking.

It's gonna feel weird, taking a break from the shooting and stuff. But it will be good for us too. And if everything is ok after the lap, we will be able, financially, to continue treatments if need be. Even if I don't obtain spontaneous ovulation after the surgery, I will still be able to ovulate with the injections and try IUI a couple more times. I am kinda happy we have a plan. I felt very desperate when I thought the only thing left for us (IVF) was not possible for us now. But knowing there are still things we can try is a relief.

On another note, I am now at 14 dpo and no period in sight. I am not getting my hopes up, I don't want to give in to this tiny bit of hope lingering in my heart. But during all my cycles with injectibles and lousy charts, I have always had my period at 12 or 13 dpo. I have once had it at 15 dpo, but that was with a late ovulation and a beautiful chart. I will be testing again tomorrow morning, IF I get there without any spotting what so ever.

Here are some links about Ovarian drilling...
http://my.webmd.com/hw/womens_conditions/tw9171.asp
http://www.obgyn.net/pcos/articles/lap_ovarian_cautery.htm
http://www.healthandage.com/Home/gid7=807
Enjoy the nice pictures! ;)

1 comment(s):

I just found your blog through Blogs Canada. I thought it was cool to find a french infertitlity blog! Then I saw that you write in English too..and you've discovered Milenka. Cool, I will read your story and likely link to you.

http://lalaland.typepad.com

in Ottawa mais pas disponible en francais :-(

By Blogger Lala, at 1:19 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home