Eggs, shots and rock n roll

Thursday, August 18, 2005

3rd appointment

This morning, I had my third follow-up appointment. I was really anxious. I think it's too long, 4 weeks between appointments! 4 weeks without hearing the baby's heart, it's like an eternity. Well, nothing is ever gonna be as long as a 2 weeks wait, but you know what I mean! I still can't really feel it move, except for a few times when I'm lying down and pressing on my belly, but not every time. So, I needed reassurance that Pépin was still there, doing well.

The nurse that called my name was one I used to see often when I went there for fertility treatments. Not the one from hell, no! Another one, who always remembered my name and knew why I was there. She showed me how to shoot myself in the belly, she gave me a couple shots from time to time, she was a big support. When she saw me come in today, she recognised me and looked at my records twice, as if to make sure it was really me. "Wow! I didn't know you were pregnant! Oh wow! Congratulations! So it worked!" I was very touched by her enthousiasm and because she remembered our struggle.

My blood pressure is fine. Urine test is ok. All my blood work came back ok. I haven't gained weight. In fact, I lost some, again. The dr did not looked worried, but a little concerned. I know it's normal to lose some weight at the beginning of a pregnancy, but being at 17 weeks, I should be gaining some, not losing. I eat well, I haven't had any nausea at all, I even eat more than before. So, nothing to worry about just yet, but something to keep an eye on. I'm pretty sure that when I'll start gaining weight, I'll never stop! He said my belly is growing well (16 cm). And we heard the little heartbeat, so strong and fast. I never get tired of earing that!

I asked him about my headaches (I've been having headaches for 3 weeks). It's not all the time, sometimes it's very strong, others not. Sometimes it's in the morning, other times at night. He looked at my homones levels and said they were all ok, so it did not come from there. I know I can take Tylenol, but I don't like taking too much pills (this coming from someone who took so many pills and injections just to get where she is). He told me to take as much Tylenol as I needed to break that headache cycle.

So, all is well! Next follow-up in 4 weeks. We're seeing Pépin next week, at our big u/s, hoping to find out a little bit more about this small person's identity... Until then, I'm gonna eat!

3 comment(s):

Sounds like an awesome appointment! Congratulations!

I have been having terrible headaches ever since I started week 15. I'm sorry to hear you are having them too, but I am relieved in a way that it's not just me. Everything I found online said most people got them in the first trimester and then they went away...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:03 PM  

Hope your headaches get better soon!! Good to hear your appointment went well.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 PM  

Glad the appt. went well. I hope you can get control of those headaches soon.

To ally my fears of what's going on in there, I rented a doppler from stork radio. It just arrived on Wednesday and I heard the hb right away. It makes me feel better and gives me some assurance. Just a thought until you can feel Pepin move.

Can't wait to find out whether Pepin is a boy or girl.

By Blogger PJ, at 11:36 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home