Eggs, shots and rock n roll

Friday, August 19, 2005

Lots of fun ahead

This weekend is the big annual pic-nic/party of my MIL's family. A big 2 days with the in-laws. I even have the honor of a bonus night with P's parents because he told them we would get there tonight to help them out. Everybody is gonna be there tomorrow. That means a lot of people, since my MIL has a big family. A big party of cousins, aunts, uncles, sisters, where everybody sleeps over in tents or campers and everybody sings at night around a campfire. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

Well, no. Last year, they decided the campfire was a thing of the past. They introduced modern technology to this gathering. Entered the karaoke. Oh joy. Last year, I was lucky enough to suffer from a bad laryngitis (I swear I did not do it on purpose!) that weekend, so that saved me from the humiliation fun of singing a bad song out of tune in front of all those people. But this year, I won't get off that easy.

To make things worse, it's gonna be raining from tonight until Sunday morning. Really, the ideal weather for an outdoor gathering! Even if we put up a big plastic shelter and people all bring umbrellas and raincoats, it takes away a lot of spontaneity and freedom from this lovely party. We have no choice but to stay under the big tent, so very close to the karaoke machine. Not easy to go hide in the woods until everybody is asleep. We're gonna sing tonight, there's no coming out of that one.

I'm really annoyed by this whole weekend. It is no secret I don't like my in-laws. P's parents have always gotten on my nerves, but I can manage to survive a weekend with them. But the rest of the big family, the uncles, aunts and cousins, I can't stand. I've tried, but hey, I can't help it. I will try to have fun no matter what. Ok, maybe not by singing, but maybe be listening to other people screamingsinging their bad choice of music. I have to stop thinking about the fact I'm gonna have to get up in the middle of the night, get out of the tent into the cold rain in my pajamas and wet my socks while trying to put on my shoes without waking P up, to go pee. I have to stop thinking about the stupid comments I'm gonna hear, the hands trying to touch my belly and the assvices everybody feels they need to give us. I've gotta stop thinking about the karaoke. I tried finding one positive point in this whole weekend. The only one I found: I'm gonna eat some good fresh corn. Not very strong for a strong point, huh?

Corn.. Corn... Think about corn... It better bo some damn good corn!

1 comment(s):

Hi kiwi! I've been away for 3 weeks and am just getting caught up on "pepin"! Looks like things are going great and I look forward to watching little on grow!!

By Blogger Sheryl, at 11:55 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home