Eggs, shots and rock n roll

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Car accident

Last Tuesday, I left home by myself to go to my dr's appointment. P always takes the car to work, so I wanted to take advantage of the fact I had it for myself for one whole day. I had some errands to do, some gifts to buy for P and a job to get to the printer. I din't get to do any of those things. A few minutes after leaving home, I was embarking on the highway and I got hit from behind by a firetruck. I was in chock, shaking and crying and not knowing what to do. I was thinking of one and only thing: my baby. I felt ok, physically I mean, I wasn't hurt. I felt Pépin move, so I knew he was ok, but I needed to know for sure. They called the ambulance to take me to the hospital. The police told me the city would take care of everything since I wasn't responsible. So I left in the ambulance, a little less worried about the boring things like the towing of my car or the money it would cost us.

I had never taken the ambulance in my life. I never even went to the hospital, except for bloodwork and when I misscarried. They took my blood pressure, which was off the roof. So he put some sticky thingies on my chest and back and that finger clip thingy to take my pulse (sorry, my English is very poor when it comes to technical terms!). They even put an oxygen mask on my face to calm me and make my pressure go down. Everything felt surreal.

When we arrived at the hospital, I did not feel the baby move anymore. I shook him, poked him, nothing. I was really scared. P arrived at that moment and he seemed real scared too. They took my pressure and it was back to normal. I was having a little fever, but nothing allarming. They took me to the maternity room so they could check on my baby. As soon as the nurse put the monitoring on, we heard the baby's heartbeat strong and steady. We stayed there for a while, listening to the heartbeat and making sure I was not having any contractions or pain. After confirming everything was fine, we went back to the ER so I could get checked up. Of course, our health system being what it is, I had to wait for 5 hours before seeing a dr. So after a while, my neck started to hurt. They gave my a neck piece and put my on a bed to make me more confortable. P talked to the insurance guy, to the car dealer, even to my printer. He arranged everything, bought me a sandwich and hot coco. He's such a wonderful man. When the dr finally saw me, he checked my neck and back and everything looked fine. I was only a litlle sore, but it was only muscular, the bones were ok.

When you're waiting for 5 hours in a waiting room, your mind wonders. You start to re-live the events, try to remember exactly what happened. You wonder if you could have avoided the accident, if you had done this or that... If you had left home a minute later or sooner, if you had faced one more red light... I know I'm not responsible, the road was icy, the firetruck was going fast (with the emergency lights on)... It does no good to analyse everything... but still... what if...

After all, it was more trouble than anything else. The insurance, the work day lost, the car being at the shop for at least 2 weeks, the money we certainly did not need to waste like that... But all in all, these things don't matter, as long as the baby is doing fine. I never want to live that kind of fear again.

2 comment(s):

I'm so glad you and the baby are ok.

By Anonymous Jenn, at 5:20 PM  

Wow. I'm glad you are all doing ok, that must have been a nightmare of a scare!

Get your rest in. I was in a minor accident 2 years ago and I still have neck pain. Follow up with it if the pain continues! My chiropractor does wonders. :)

By Anonymous Dooneybug, at 9:20 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home