Eggs, shots and rock n roll

Monday, July 18, 2005

A stubborn kiwi seed

On Wednesday the 13, I went for a second u/s, this one being part of the Prenatest (facultative testing for neural tube defects and trisomy). We are not considered at risk, but we decided to do the testing just to have another u/s. On my paper was writen I did not have to drink water, so I assumed it meant this u/s would be with a dildocam. No matter how many I have done, these are never fun. But hey, it was for a good cause right?

In the exam room, the dr tells me to lie down an the table. He did not say "take off your pants" so I immediately said "huh? it's ON the belly?!" like an idiot. He answered "yes, unless you insist." No no, that's ok, I won't miss the dildocam one bit! So he puts the thing (can anyone tell me how it's called in English?) on my belly and tries to find the baby. He pushes real hard and there it is, very blury on the screen. The dr tries different angles to get a better view, but after a few minutes, he tells me "oh well, the baby is very far in your uterus, we have no choice but to go vaginally." Ahahah! Seems I can't get rid of that wand after all!

But then, Pépin is so clear on screen. We see the toes, the hands, the legs, hi there little fella! The heart is beating, the baby's moving and daddy's crying. But the baby is showing us half its back, so the dr can't measure what he has to. He tries to make the baby turn by pushing on my belly a few times. Pépin moves, but not the way we want it to. The dr asks me to caugh, nothing. He pushes and pushes, pokes, pokes, nothing. Baby is very stubborn and does not want us to see its nose. Maybe it has its father nose already and is really complexed by it. When the u/s is done on the belly, the dr can move the thing every way around the baby, so it's easier to get the view he wants. With the dildocam, there's not as much room. For about 20 minutes, we watch baby wiggle while the dr tries to make it turn. And finally, Pépin turns and we can see its beautiful nose and face and the dr can measure all he wants while daddy and I go "oooh!" and "aaaah!" while watching our wee one on the screen. How it has changed since the last u/s! How it has grown! It measures 12w (I was 11w5d the day of the u/s) the heart is beating at 179 bpm, which is fast, but ok. So, the time of taking measures and taking a picture and the stubborn little baby is turning its back at us again.

Everything is fine and dandy! Had some blood drawn, then we left the office, our hearts ready to burst from joy and pride. My mind is at ease, well, for now at least. I am really starting to let myself be freely happy and hopeful and expecting. I am enjoying every minute I have with this baby.


I still feel it was only yesterday that my life was revolving around one dream: becoming a mom. It feels like yesterday, I was charting, counting days, hoping while trying to stay down-to-earth. Today, I know I am preganant. I got it now. What I still need to grasp is that I am going to be a mom. It still seems so surreal to me. My life has already completely changed since I got my positive test. And I know it's only the begining of a big chain of events and changes.

5 comment(s):

I'm glad the u/s brought such good news.

Pepin has gotten very big. I'm glad that your pregnancy is finally sinking in, it gives me hope that mine may sink in too one of these days.

By Blogger PJ, at 4:43 PM  

I think that thing is called a transducer, but I'm not 100% sure.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 AM  

I'm so happy for you kiwi! I can't imagine how you must have felt watching pepin wiggling around in there!

Happy and Healthy 6 more months!!

By Blogger Sheryl, at 8:29 AM  

I am so excited for you.What a great pic of little kiwi.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:45 AM  

I am so very very jealous of your wonderful ultrasound. What great pictures! I hope to have another one tomorrow so that I can add to my portfolio too. Congrats!

By Blogger Digging Out Slowly, at 12:24 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home