Eggs, shots and rock n roll

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Do not touch

I don't really like being touched. I never liked it. My bubble is very important to me, I don't let that many people cross my physical contact limits. Touching is for me very intimate and I keep it for special occasions and people very, very close to me.

I knew when we decided to come out about the pregnancy, it would open doors. I know people have a tendancy to touch. But the fact that there is a baby growing inside of me does not give them the right to rub my belly. Do I play with their belly-button? Why would my being pregnant rob me of my right to have my own limits? I was preparing myself to guard my belly like a castle, to push away those curious hands. But I didn't think I would have to do it so soon, I'm not even showing yet, for Pete's sake.

Yesterday, I paid a visit to my dad and his girlfriend. She had not seen me for a couple of weeks. As soon as we arrived, she did not kiss me on the cheeks as she usually does. Instead, she placed her had on my belly. Right. Is that how we greet each other from now on? We rub each other's belly? I don't think so.

I took her hand away from my belly at once and told her that when she could feel the baby moving, I would gladly let her touch it. It was very difficult to push her away, it left me with an uneasy feeling, as if she had violated my privacy. I almost felt as if she just saw me naked. She's not just some aunt I would have no problem telling Back off! to. She's someone I'm close to, someone I love and I know she meant no harm.

I'm really not ready for that king of contact. I don't understand why people think it's suddenly ok for them to touch me. When I wasn't pregnant, they did not touch my belly, they would never have dared. Why, now, do they think they can touch me witheout asking me, as if I was only a container, not a woman? The belly is still part of my body, as far as I know. The skin beneath your fingers is my skin. When you think you're touching the baby, I'm the one feeling it, not the baby. And believe me, if I cannot feel it move yet, you most certainly won't. What you are rubbing is just some belly fat and it really isn't appreciated. So back off! Leave my bubble!

2 comment(s):

I dread that. I shudder at the thought of someone touching my belly. I know they don't mean anything by it, but I don't like it.

I'm mostly concerned because I am a big girl and have a feeling they will be rubbing fat until 6 or so months. I don't want anyone coming up and carressing my fat belly, even if there's a baby way down deep in there.

By Blogger PJ, at 8:56 AM  

It's the weirdest thing, to think that because someone is pregnant that you can touch their stomach. There was a temp where I work who was pregnant, and on her second day one of my co-workers was touching her stomach. Freaky.

If anyone does that to me, they are getting a slap.

By Blogger MsPrufrock, at 3:31 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home